At the beginning of the year I published a post outlining what some of my goals for the year were. In the spirit of being transparent, here is the progress I made on them over the course of October –
- 100% self availability over the course of the month. October was a crazy month.
- Volunteered for 0 hours 😦
- No procrastination!
- Continued being honest and open over the course of October. I said things that the Karan of 2015 might have had trouble vocalizing.
- Zero Rust progress.
- I read 3 books in October — Asterios Polyp (a gorgeous graphic novel with a story that I wish were slightly better), The Man in the High Castle (first book I read in 2016 that I did not like. The story was OK, but I really disliked the writing style), Dark Matter (another book I didn’t really enjoy).
- I read 3 research papers — High-Availability at Massive Scale: Building Google’s Data Infrastructure for Ads (I wrote a post about it too), SLIK: Scalable Low-Latency Indexes for a Key-Value Store, and Caching Doesn’t Improve Mobile Web Performance (Much) (the last two papers were from Usenix ATC 2016, and were both fantastic).
- I wrote 9 posts.
- I didn’t really play much guitar in October.
- (a) (goal achieved)
(b) (goal achieved)
(c) (goal achieved)
(d) (goal achieved)
(e) (goal achieved)