At the beginning of the year I published a post outlining what some of my goals for the year were. In the spirit of being transparent, here is the progress I made on them over the course of December –
- 100% self availability over the course of the month.
- Volunteered for 0 hours 😦
- I definitely procrastinated. In my defense, I was on vacation for most of this month.
- Was as honest and open as humanly possible. Maybe even more. To say that this lead to an emotional roller coaster of a month would be an understatement.
- Wrote a bit of Rust code.
- I read 4 books in December — Smoke and Mirrors: Short Fiction and Illusions (first Neil Gaiman book that I disliked), The Paper Menagerie and Other Stories (I discovered this book via the Goodreads Best Books of 2016 awards. This is an INCREDIBLE book. Each short story left me with a sense of wonder and discovery), The Book Thief (I had high expectations from this book based on what I’d read/heard about it. It was very good, but lacked something (in my opinion) that would have elevated it to that status of a great book. I felt that the ending was a bit cliched), and The Algorithms for Love (another Ken Liu short story that touched my soul).
- I read two research papers in December — Three States and a Plan: The A.I. of F.E.A.R, and Kraken: Leveraging Live Traffic Tests to Identify and Resolve Resource Utilization Bottlenecks in Large Scale Web Services.
- I wrote 0 posts in December.
- I didn’t play guitar at all in December.
- (a) (goal achieved)
(b) (goal achieved)
(c) (goal achieved)
(d) (goal achieved)
(e) (goal achieved)