Here are my favorite albums of 2015, in no particular order:
- Polaris by TesseracT
- Currents by Tame Impala
- New Bermuda by Deafheaven
- What Went Down by Foals
- Carrie and Lowell by Sufjan Stevens
- Choose Your Weapon by Haitus Kaiyote
- The Direction of Last Things by Intronaut
- Coma Ecliptic by Between the Buried and Me
- Node by Northlane
- VII: Sturm und Drang by Lamb of God
- The Book of Souls by Iron Maiden
If I had to pick one album as “Karan’s album of the year” (I need a more creative name for this award) for 2015 I would have to say that would be Carrie and Lowell by Sufjan Stevens.
Carrie and Lowell was my first introduction to the musical genius of Sufjan Stevens. I was blown away by his ability to take something sad from his life and turn it into a beautiful (yet immensely sad) body of music. Each song on this album is breathtaking; the (simple yet complex) music, his wonderful voice, and the powerful lyrics all work together to create something magical.
Not seeing Sufjan Stevens live at Fox Theater, Oakland is one of my disappointments of 2015.