For our Advanced Distributed Systems (CS 525) final project Onur and I are working on a system we’ve named Gelato. I will have more details about it in a month when we (hopefully) open source our code. Our tech stack for Gelato looks something like this:
- Apache HBase for persistence of data
- Apache ZooKeeper for service discovery, load balancing, group membership, and failure detection
- RabbitMQ for internal publish-subscribe
- Apache Thrift for RPC
- Fabric for deploying our code
We were deciding between Cassandra and HBase and decided to use HBase because HBase has a native Java API and is pretty easy to use on AWS thanks to AWS EMR.
The languages we are using are:
- Java for the core Gelato system
- Python to gather performance metrics
Gelato is pretty the most complex system I’ve built during college and I’m really excited to see how it finally turns out.
3 thoughts on “Gelato Tech Stack”